Choosing a siding material for your home can seem a bit overwhelming because of the many different options. It is important to look at the advantages and the drawbacks of those options so that you can make the best decision based on what you hope to accomplish. If you’ve been wondering about aluminum siding, here are a few things to know about it before you make a decision:
- Know the thickness. There are different aluminum siding manufacturers and you can find such options as 40-gauge, 44-gauge, and 53-gauge. The higher the number, the thicker the material. The thicker you can go, the better if you are looking for a long life expectancy.
- Choose your layout. Aluminum siding comes in both horizontal and vertical formats, so you can choose whichever appearance looks best with the architecture of your home and appeals to you.
- Insulating properties. Another benefit of thicker aluminum siding is it is more insulative, which can help you control heating and cooling costs better than you can get with vinyl siding.
- Durable. Aluminum siding is completely waterproof and will protect your home from moisture issues, making it a better choice than many other siding options. It is also unaffected by extreme cold whereas other materials can become brittle, then crack, which permits water to get under the siding.
- Insect proof. Some siding materials are pest resistant but none, other than aluminum siding, are completely insect proof.
- Highly fire resistant. Although not completely fireproof, it comes pretty close and could save you on homeowner insurance premiums because of it. Be sure to check with your provider before letting this be a deciding factor.
- Low maintenance. Other than repainting your aluminum siding every 10 to 12 years and hosing it off once a year, you won’t have much else to do to keep it looking great.
- Recyclable. You can feel good about choosing siding that never needs to end up in a landfill as it can be melted and used for other aluminum products.
If you would like to know more about the pros and cons of aluminum siding, give us a call at Peak Performance Roofing & Exteriors. We’ll be happy to answer all your questions, so you can decide if this product is right for you.