Homeowners dread hearing that they need roofing replacement because of the time and money involved, but having a strong and durable roof is one of the most important things you can do to protect your home.
If it is time for you to think about roofing replacement, you will have to make an important decision about what type of material to use. The most common answers to this question are shingles or metal roofing. While you consider which type of roofing to use during your roofing replacement, you will need to think about your budget for the project and how many more years you plan to live in the house.
Here are some things to know about shingle roofing:
- Shingles have been a popular choice for a long time.
- They are lower in cost than other options, but can last for 20 or 30 years.
- Shingles are easy to work with and install. It is also easy to replace a few shingles later if that becomes necessary.
- There are many different types and styles of shingles available.
- Shingles are more easily damaged in severe weather than other types of roofing. They also need some sunlight to prevent the growth of moss or algae.
Here are some things to know about metal roofing:
- Metal is lightweight and can be installed right over existing shingles in some cases.
- Metal is long lasting and can last 50 to 60 years in some cases.
- This type of roofing is weather and wind resistant and requires less maintenance than shingles.
- Other advantages include being fireproof and energy efficient.
- Metal roofing does cost more initially than shingles.